If you’re looking for a flexible way to earn money and help people, being an online tutor may be right up your alley.
Statistics show that the global online tutoring market will expand to 19.47 billion by 2030. Though online tutors are in high demand and can earn good money, it takes some work to get started.
But, as long as you have the right skills, this job offers a unique opportunity to make money while helping others learn and grow.
So, whether you want extra cash or are looking for a full-time job with benefits, working as an online tutor can be a perfect fit for many people.
This post will walk you through everything you need to know about starting online tutoring from home (including step-by-step instructions).
What is online tutoring?
Tutoring is a service that helps students to improve their skills online. It’s one of the fastest growing industries in America today due to its flexibility and convenience factor, as it allows you to work as per your own schedule while earning extra income on a part-time basis.
However, online tutoring is different from online teaching. While teachers in an educational institution provide classroom instruction and interact with the students face-to-face, a tutor provides one-on-one assistance to students no matter their location.
What Are The Basics of being an Online Tutor?
Before you start looking for work as an online tutor, it’s essential to make sure that you have the skills and qualifications to do the job.
In addition, you need to have good time management skills to provide optimum service to the students.
- Good communication skills – As an online tutor, you should be able to communicate clearly and explain things in an understandable way.
- Expertise in a subject area – You need to have a good understanding of the subject matter and be able to help people learn new information and solve problems.
- In addition, you need to be able to explain concepts clearly and help students learn independently, including how to find information and resources on their own
- The ability to help students learn from their mistakes and adapt your teaching style so that it’s tailored for online tutoring
What Are The Best Online Tutoring Platforms?
There are a lot of online tutoring platforms that you can use to kick-start your business.
- Udemy is definitely one of the best platforms to consider if you want to make money as an online tutor; if you’re an expert in a particular field (like finance or marketing), consider looking into Udemy. In addition, the platform allows you to create courses of your own design, which people can purchase.
- SkillShare is another excellent platform for offering your services as an online tutor. Though it has a much smaller user base than Udemy, it’s still a good option if you want to get started quickly and easily.
- Teaching.com is one of the oldest and most established platforms on the market. It has thousands of registered teachers and students and offers both live tutoring sessions (usually conducted through video chat).
- TutorVista is another popular option for tutors looking to make money from their skillset. It also has a large pool of students and provides tools for managing your schedule and teaching style. As with Teaching.com, this is a fee-based platform that charges both tutors and students for services rendered.
- Chegg Tutors is a great platform for online tutoring and has expanded rapidly ever since. The platform offers various services, including academic assistance, homework help, and test prep for college students at all levels.
- Tutor Platform is another platform where you can offer tutoring services with minimal effort required on your part.
You can also check out Tutor.com, a professional tutoring platform that’s been around for over a decade. It doesn’t have as many users on it as some other sites, but it has some really nice features that make it worth considering.
In addition, sites like Wyzant allow you to create an account where you can list yourself as a tutor looking for work. You can write about your skillset and availability to attract clients who need what you offer.
How Much Do Online Tutors Earn?
Many factors determine how much money an online tutor makes each month. These factors include how many hours per week you work (more hours will mean more income) and their hourly wage rate.
It also depends on your skills and what kind of students seek help in those areas.
Some tutors make the most money by teaching in-person or private lessons. In contrast, others make more by teaching group classes or workshops.
In addition, some platforms offer more money than others, which will also affect how much you make.
However, on average, tutors earn between $17-$20 an hour depending on their location and experience level, as well as what kind of work they do (private lessons vs. group sessions).
But, if you can attract more clients and increase your hourly rate, the sky is the limit to how much money you can make as an online tutor.
The highest paying markets include New York City, where rates start at $50 per hour for private lessons but can go up into the hundreds per week if teaching a class full time.
How Do You Land Your First Gig?
Before starting an online tutoring business, knowing where you will get your clients is essential.
There are several ways to find clients for your online tutoring business. The first step in finding clients for your online tutoring business is to market yourself on social media and classified job sites.
You can do that through social media platforms like Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook. You can also use this platform to connect with other tutors and ask them if they know anyone who needs a tutor. If they do, they will offer your name as a potential candidate.
Another way of finding clients for your online tutoring business is through search engines such as Google and Bing.
You can also use this platform to connect with other tutors and ask them if they know anyone who needs a tutor. If they do, they will offer your name as a potential candidate.
However, ensure that all of your information, including credentials, is clearly stated so that people looking for an online tutor will find what they need and make an informed decision.
Once you have found yourself a potential client, the step is to land your first gig and start earning with this work-at-home opportunity.
Can I make money as an online tutor?
It’s possible to make good money as an online tutor. Making money online with your expertise is a great way to make a flexible income doing what you already love.
The work is flexible and rewarding, especially if you love teaching.
You can choose your own hours, work from anywhere in the world, and work with various students from different backgrounds and ages.
This could be the perfect opportunity if you’re looking for ways to make extra cash with your knowledge base.
What Software Can I Use For Online Tutoring?
There are many software to start an online tutoring business. Here are some of the best ones:
Zoom is a great platform to use if you want to do live video calls with your students. You can also share your screen, which is helpful if you’re helping them with homework or studying for exams.
Skype is another good option because most people already have it installed on their computers or smartphones. You can also use Skype Classroom, a new feature that lets you create classroom groups and manage them from the dashboard.
Another option to consider is Google Hangouts if you’re looking for an easy way to start teaching students online without downloading any new software onto their computers.
The internet has made it possible for us to connect with one another from all over the world. Online tutoring is an excellent way to earn extra income and help students learn about their favorite subject.
With just a few clicks of the mouse, you can find clients and set up your profile page on any platform that offers this service. You can even work as an independent freelance tutor.
So, if you want to make extra money, try online tutoring. Remember, you don’t have to be an expert in your field—you need to be willing to put in the effort and time required for success.
I hope this list helps you get started on a great career as a tutor. If you need more help or have questions about earning extra income online, please feel free to contact me. You can also join the free training to learn more.