Fiverr is a popular digital freelance marketplace that helps freelancers outsource their skills, whether writing articles, graphics design, or video editing.
What makes Fiverr unique is that it allows users to offer their services for $5 up to $10,000. However, the site charges a 20% commission on every transaction, while the seller keeps the remaining 80%.
And, like any other platform, there are both pros and cons of using Fiverr. Hence, in this article, I will share my honest opinion to help you make the most of this large marketplace.
Disclosure, Some of the links in this article are affiliate, which means I may earn a commission if you decide to purchase through the link at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
How Does Fiverr Work For Freelancers?
You can find any service you might need on the platform, from graphic design to voiceovers and animation.
The first step is to list your services, popularly called gigs, on the site. Then buyers interested in your offers will send you a request.
However, you won’t be paid until there’s a clearance from the buyer that you have done an excellent job and there are no complaints.
So, Fiverr holds the money for the transaction safely in the escrow account for 14 days and only releases it when the buyer is satisfied with the work. In addition, the platform takes 20% of the money and gives the remaining balance to the seller.
However, tons of freelancers and business owners have used Fiverr for their different needs, which has been very successful.
Categories of Services Offered On Fiverr
There are presently nine categories on the platform
- Graphic and Design
- Digital Marketing
- Writing and Translation
- Video and Animation
- Music and Audio
- Programming and Tech
How can I sign up for Fiverr?
- Visit Fiverr website
- Create an account using Google, Facebook, or your email address
- Write a short and optimized profile description of yourself.
- Create gigs based on the services you offer.
How can I create gigs on Fiverr?
- Visit Fiverr website
- Sign up with your email address
- From the dashboard, click on “switch to selling.”
- Click on Gigs and then create a new gig.
- Write an optimized title and select the relevant category based on your skill.
- Include relevant tags and set up your price ranging from $5 to $10,000.
- Add a high-quality image or video of yourself or your business.
How can I buy gigs on Fiverr?
- Research the list of offers from freelancers
- Choose the best sellers from the list
- Request samples of their work
- Check out reviews of their reviews
- Complete the transaction.
Remember, you can request a refund if you’re unsatisfied with the work.
Can I Make Money On Fiverr?
Yes. If you are a freelancer with a skill or talent, you can sell your services on the platform. But, the first is to create an optimized profile. Then, list out the services you offer (gigs).
So, buyers interested in the offer will contact you. And when you deliver the project without any complaint or issue., you’ll receive your payment after 14 days.
Fiverr is a great place to earn extra income online, but it requires effort and building up your skill to make the most of it.
However, it’s best to invest in services in high demand and offered by a few people on the platform.
Can I Get Scammed On Fiverr?
Fiverr is a safe and trustworthy platform for both buyers and sellers. However, while there are experts with years of experience, they may also be fly-by-night amateurs looking to make a quick buck.
It’s not common to get scammed on the platform, but it does happen. The key is to be alert and avoid any shady deals outside Fiverr.
So, be alert and don’t be tempted to start any transaction outside Fiverr so you can avoid the 20% commission. Moreover, it’s against Fiverr terms of service to create a deal outside the platform.
Both buyers and sellers need to be vigilant and trustworthy while dealing with each other because the fault can come from both sides.
5 Tips To Make Good Use Of Fiverr As A Buyer
Fiverr is filled with talented freelancers eager to help you out, but how does one make the most of Fiverr?
Here are tips to help you get the best of the platform:
1. Choose your keywords wisely
Searching through the site can be quite tedious at times as there are many options to choose from.
Once you find a potential freelancer you want to work with, take a closer look at their profile and see if they have good feedback and reviews. If they do, then give them a shot!
2. Review your options before posting
Fiverr is an international platform, so freelancers worldwide will see it when you post a project.
Therefore, you should carefully review who you’re willing to work with before posting your job on Fiverr.
The last thing you want is to have someone who can’t speak your language working on something for you in a time-sensitive situation.
So if you have particular requirements for your project, make sure the information is evident in your job description.
In addition, look through the reviews posted by your potential freelancers’ previous clients to see what they’re capable of doing before deciding on whether or not you want to hire them.
3. Tread carefully
Once you post your Fiverr job, people from all over the world will be able to see your project and bid on it.
Therefore, it’s essential to consider what you’re asking for before posting your project so you don’t attract the wrong sort of people or business.
4. Message the sellers
After selecting your preferred freelancers, send notes to them before deciding so you can pick the best fit for your need.
5. Make sure your job has a clear time frame
No one wants to pay for something and not receive it within a specific time. That’s why you need to put a time frame to the job.
If you find a reliable seller who delivers high-quality work, stick with him.
Pros And Cons Of Fiverr
- An excellent platform for you to start your own business.
- Easy to sign up and navigate
- Affordable services
- The fund is kept safely in the Escrow account.
- Excellent support; phone, chat, and email support.
- Fiverr Blog provides in-depth information about how you can grow your business and increase your earnings.
- There are plenty of freelance professionals with different skills and talents.
- Fiverr takes 20% of the transaction fee.
- Some of the reviews on the platform are not genuine.
- Payment is released to the seller 14 days after completing the work.
What Are The Best Alternatives to Fiverr?
One of the largest marketplace for freelancers and clients is Upwork. The platform offers professional and high-quality categories of services.
Moreover, it’s easy to choose the best service for your business by reviewing freelancers’ profiles and reviews.
In addition, you need to pass the readiness test to get an Upwork rising talent badge.
- Upwork is well known and trusted by brands.
- Good channel of communication between buyers and sellers to share information.
- It’s free and easy to sign up
- Upwork collects a lower percentage service charge
- Secured transaction between sellers and buyers
- It could be challenging for beginners as you need positive reviews to build a strong reputation on the platform.
- Need at least one connect to submit the proposal for a job.
With over 29 million active users, Freelancer is one of the largest online marketplaces for small businesses and freelancers.
There’s a large category of jobs to choose from and no limit to how much you earn.
Over 1,800 categories to choose from
Free and easy to sign up
You only pay when you’re satisfied with the service.
Track your working hours with the app
It may be challenging for new users as some companies prefer experienced freelancers.
This platform is a great recruiting company for people looking for reliable experts and professionals to handle their projects. It’s recognized and trusted by big brands.
However, there’s a strict screening process for communication, knowledge, and personality skills.
Thus, it would be best to have experience and excellent communication skills before applying to the site.
In fact, according to Toptal, less than 3% are accepted out of 100,000 applications.
- Hire professional freelancers at an affordable price
- It’s tough for beginners to be accepted to the platform.
This is a large online marketplace for freelancers and people looking to hire them.
Like Fiverr, payment is released to the seller after the buyer is satisfied with the work.
Moreover, there are quality tests freelancers need to pass before they are accepted into the program.
However, you get a high-quality service at an affordable price.
- Easy to create an account
- There’s excellent security for your fund.
- Affordable hiring process
- It could be a bit challenging for new users to navigate.
Another top professional platform for companies looking to hire freelancers is Guru.
It’s free to get started; however, you can only bid on ten jobs in a month with the free plan.
- It’s an excellent place for small businesses.
- Outstanding security measures for buyers and sellers
- Large categories of jobs are posted every day on the platform
- There’s a limited job application for the free plan.
If you are searching for an excellent platform for all types of professional design work like logos, ebook covers, websites, etc.,
- There’s a money-back guarantee.
- Large categories of services available
- You get exactly what you paid for
- Access to professionals and experts in various fields
- 99designs takes 30-40% of the transaction fee.
- Excellent service but quite expensive.
Fiverr Review FAQs
Is Fiverr legit for business?
Yes, Fiverr is safe for your business. Money is kept safely in Escrow and released 14 days later to ensure there are no complaints from the seller.
The platform is genuine and trustworthy; even you may sometimes find people selling low-quality work. It has been operating since 2010 and has over 3 million active sellers.
What payment method is allowed on Fiverr?
Fiverr accepts payments through PayPal, credit or debit cards, Wire Transfers, Google Pay, Apple Pay, etc.
What are gigs, sellers, and buyers on Fiverr?
Fiverr gigs are a list of services offered sellers (freelancers) provide on Fiverr based on their skills, with prices ranging from $5 to $10,000. Freelancers who sell their services on the platform are called sellers. The people who buy those services are called buyers.
Fiverr is an excellent platform for freelancers to make money by selling their skills to interested buyers (clients).
There’s a 14-day fund delay put safely in Escrow to ensure both parties are satisfied with the transaction.
However, you need to provide high-quality service and be consistent with it to succeed on the platform.
If you have any questions, please drop them in the comment.
SHARE THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS!